Under Armour and Stephen Curry officially unveiled his first signature shoe, the Curry One. Introduced to members of the media at a private event in the Bay area, the shoe made its on-court debut on January 9th.
Inspired by Stephen’s journey from unheralded prep player to indisputable NBA superstar, the Curry One commemorates the personal on and off court moments that have defined his path. The shoe’s precise and sharp design lines reflect Stephen’s unflappable on-court demeanor and electrifying style of play.
“To be part of this process and to see the Curry One come to life is a dream come true,” says Curry. “What makes this experience so meaningful is that the shoe represents the belief I have in myself and the belief of my family, close friends, teammates and coaches that’s driven me to get better and led me to where I am today.”
Curry was born into a basketball family, as his father Dell was one of the game’s best shooters during a 16-year career. But, there were no shortcuts on Stephen’s path to stardom. He spent an entire summer in high school committed to reconstructing his shooting form to improve consistency and to be more effective against higher-level competition.
After getting overlooked by big time Division I programs, he raised his game all three years to elevate a small school into the echelons of college basketball’s elite teams. Playing mostly off the ball in college, he worked relentlessly to build his all-around skills as a point guard capable of controlling all aspects of a game.
“The Curry One represents Stephen’s journey and the legacy he is building that is inspiring and motivating the next generation of basketball players,” says Dave Dombrow, VP and Creative Director, Footwear, Under Armour. “Through hard work and self-conviction, Stephen willed himself into becoming one of the game’s best players.”
Curry One Innovation
The Curry One’s technology is engineered for the game’s most “unguardable” player. Two new innovations, Charged Cushioning and Anafoam, provide Stephen with performance benefits that his game demands.
Charged Cushioning: The ultimate advancement in energy. The new cushioning system absorbs impact and converts it into a responsive burst to give your first step and change of direction unmatched explosiveness.
Anafoam: After studying a pressure map of the foot to identify where to distribute support, EVA foam and mesh were molded together to anatomically fit essential pressure points.
Additional performance benefits include:
- An external heel counter that eliminates sliding and keeps your foot locked in place.
- A midfoot TPU shank underfoot for maximum stability.
- A multi-directional herringbone outsole delivering superior traction and control.
- A padded mesh tongue with synthetic suede offering protection and increased breathability.
Each Colorway Tells a Story
The colors tell their own story about Stephen’s life on and off the court. The “Home” and “Away” colorways represent his love for the Bay area, his team and their fans. The Curry One “Home” features a Royal upper with Taxi and White accents. The Curry One “Away” has a Black upper with Taxi accents and a Camo print.
Additional launch colorways, “The Underdog,” “Candy Reign,” and “Father to Son,” tell their own unique stories that define Stephen as a husband, father, son, brother and on court game-changer.
Stephen’s journey comes to life through the intimate and personal design details of his signature shoe, including:
- Each colorway is adorned with the SC30 logo. The duality of this logo represents who Stephen is on the court and off. The number 30 runs deep in his family and is a nod to his father who wore the number during his career.
- The “Home” and “Away” colors feature the quote “I CAN DO ALL THINGS” on the inside tongue. The lace loop at the bottom of the tongue has “4:13,” representing one of Stephen’s favorite Bible verses, Philippians 4:13, that reads: “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”
- Lace tips on the “Home and Away” feature respectively the acronym “MMTB” for “Make My Team Better,” and “LEAD.”
The Curry One “Home” launches worldwide on February 13, 2015 at UA.com and Footlocker.com. The global release date for the Curry One “Away” is February 28, 2015. A collection of Curry One apparel and accessories will also go on sale this year.